Friday, January 7, 2011

That Sunny, Funny Face


Don’t you just love Audrey? I can’t imagine there are too many women in the world that don’t agree. Since her rise to stardom Audrey was renowned for her style, her impossible waist line and her quirky grace.
The first I saw of Audrey Hepburn was in her 1957 film “Funny Face” – I was enchanted. Her style was so effortlessly chic, simple and classic.  It was in this film that she debuted those infamous black Capri pants. 


I have wanted those pants ever since. However, try as I might I could never find the right pair in stores.  I knew one day I would just have to bite the bullet at try to make my own pair. Seeing that I predominantly make vintage dresses, the thought of making pants is somewhat frightful. The fit and cut is much more important. Understandably, I won’t look just like her in them, nor do I expect many people would! But the time has come to give it a try.
At last I have settled on a retro pattern from BurdaStyle (cropped trousers #111B).  It’s a very simple pattern (sigh of relief) and the price is more than reasonable. As it’s my first time sewing this pattern, I’m planning on using some stretch seafoam drill that I have left over from a previous Burdastyle project. Not only am I using this fabric in fear that I will ruin my initial attempt, but I have banned myself from buying anymore fabric for at least the next 6 months! I have more fabric than I know what to do with, so I suppose I ought to start doing things with it.
So fingers crossed - hopefully next week I will have a retro-tastic pair of capris that would put Audrey to shame (Doubt it!)

1 comment:

  1. I love Funny Face. It is one of my favorite movies !
    The song "Bonjour Paris" is just great. And the clothes. Ah Love them !
    Congrats on your blue dress, it is really sweet and kind of Audrey style :)
    Looking forward to seeing your next projects.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...