Thursday, October 13, 2011

The "Minxy Vintage" Launch

Last week I was lucky enough to be invited by the lovely Miss Pia Anderson to the launch of  Minxy Vintage by best selling author Kelly Doust.


The launch was held at the beautiful Sydney Antiques centre and Hosted by Pia. What a decadent evening! Upon arrival, I was offered complimentary champagne, my coat and umbrella were checked; teacup laden tables offered up exotic tea's and fine chocolate truffles and the room was filled with nothing but elegantly dressed and well manicured folk - vintage style.

Coco Repose, a divine vintage store within Sydney Antiques Centre and collaborator of the book had curated a clothing exhibition for women's attire spanning from the 1900's through to the 1980's.

The examples were divine!

{1920's} Photograph Courtesy of Coco Repose

{1930's} Photograph Courtesy of Coco Repose

{1950's} Photograph Courtesy of Coco Repose
Pretty dresses and champagne aside, we were all there for the book! and oh what a book it is. Kelly is amazing! Her book is not only a fantastic feast for the eyes, but cleverly written and witty. The Book offers tips for customizing and restoring vintage clothing to create your own unique style and to breath life into old garments.

During her speech Kelly talked about how fascinated she is in the history of a vintage piece, the idea of it playing a role in someones life and being passed on to another. This concept has always fascinated me, and is one of the main reasons why I love all things vintage and Antique.

After purchasing a copy of the book, I was lucky enough to meet Kelly and have her sign my book.


As you may be able to see in the photograph above, my face is bright red. The photo was snapped right after I met her and promptly told her "I like to sew too!" like a child trying to impress one of the cool kids. I quickly collected myself  (I like to think) and continued on a little more calmly about our mutual love of vintage and sewing.

I am not ashamed to say that when the evening ended I went straight home to bed; "Minxy Vintage" in one hand, bag of free chocolates in the other and feasted on both for a good hour or two. The Verdict: Amazing (both the book and the chocolates that is).

For those who live locally (Sydney) Kelly will be signing copies at the Love Vintage Fair this weekend. For those who aren't, I'm sure you will be able to pick up her fab book online, it is well worth it!

M x

2 comments:

  1. strange, i commented on this the other day but i guess something went wrong. anyway, just wanted to say that the event looks lovely and your dress is pretty and and your blog is both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a decadent evening! All of those dresses are gorgeous. I'll for sure have to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...